Monday, April 14, 2008

Review : Gone Baby Gone


I had heard good things about this movie. Of course I heard great things about "No Country for Old Men" and I fucking hated that movie. So on top of high expectations, you've got a star turned director and difficult subject matter. So I'm a little leery going in to this one. I had nothing to worry about becuase This ... Movie ... Was ... Awesome. It was brilliant. It was well paced. It was thought provoking, engaging, moody and emotionally powerful. I left the theatre thinking "Holy shit, Ben fucking Affleck not only might get nominated for a best director Oscar, he could actually win". The thing is, I thought that because in New Zealand, this movie came out in 2008. In the US, where this kind of thing matters, this movie came out in 2007, which means it was eligible to be nominated for the Academy Awards that just happend a couple of months or so ago. And that, constant reader, means that this brilliant directorial debut not only did not win an Academy Award, it did not get nominated. IT DID NOT GET NOMINATED IN THE YEAR THAT THAT PIECE OF SHIT "NO COUNTRY FOR SHITTY MOVIES" WON THE OSCAR FOR BEST DIRECTION. And THAT is a fucking travesty. A crime of epic proportions. It makes me shake my fist at the sky and cry out at the universe "why do I work in this god forsaken business?"


Five Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment