Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Supply and Demand

So I'm in the middle of re-reading Neuromancer. I figured that I go through the whole trilogy, it's been quite a while since I've read those books. All I have are the paperbacks and, since I'm a book snob and like to have hardcovers, I thought that I'd see about upgrading my copies. So, of course, I hit amazon where I find that not only can I get a new reprint of Neuromancer for about $17, but that Gibson also has a new book coming out in about 3 weeks. Yay! Two for one. Nice. So next I look for Count Zero. Hmmm, paperback only on Amazon. I check the resellers for hardbacks and there are maybe 7 or 8.


And the cheapest one is $63 ... used ... in fair condition. Couple collectable ones. $75 and $120. Jesus Christ. Distraught but not deterred, I checked for Mona Lisa Overdrive.


Sigh ... $40 to $100.


Then, a revelation ... Ebay! Got a nice 1st ed. of Mona Lisa Overdrive for a paltry $18 + s/h. OK, I'm on a roll, 7 come 11 daddy needs a copy of Count Zero ...


2 copies ... $75 and $150 ... damnit.


So, supply and demand strikes again. I curse and shake my fist at the free market. Damn you free market economy!

No comments:

Post a Comment