Sunday, October 19, 2008

Review: Body of Lies

As much as I hate to say it, I think DiCaprio has turned into one of the better actors in Hollywood today. He stars with Russel Crowe in this political action flick based on Washington Post columnist David Ignatius’ 2007 novel about a CIA operative who's working official cover in the middle east. Ridley Scott is one of my favorite directors and he delivers again here, deftly managing a complex plot. Crowe and DiCaprio both give excellent performences. Quite unlike a Bond movie, it's a very gritty look into what I imagine the world of "spies" is actually like. My problem with this film is that the story is a little flat. While somewhat interesting, it certainly isn't new and considering the subject matter, not nearly as compelling as it could have been. A good movie for the most part, but, come on, it couldn't even beat a Talking Animal Movie at the box office it's opening week, so I imagine that most people will see it from their couch. Worth watching.


Six out of Ten

No comments:

Post a Comment