Tuesday, June 03, 2008

The Lake Show

If there was a god, do you know how I would know that he hates me? Because every time I leave the fucking country, the Lakers win the NBA Championship. 2000 through 2002? Kobe and Shaq terrorize the NBA for three straight years, have no competition in winning three straight. Where am I, in New Zealand. I'm in Los Angeles for the last five years. I support my team. I bought season tickets one year for crying out loud. Nada, zip, zilch, zero, bupkus. I'm back in New Zealand, the Lakers are back in the NBA finals. Which, they will win, since I can't go to any of the games. If god wanted to really twist the knife the Indians will also win the World Series while I'm here. Actually, he should know better. If the Tribe makes it to the Series. I will see ONE game in person. I'm not sure how. Hopefully instead of having to actually sell one of the children to go, one of them can just not go to college, we'll have to see.

So here's one of my all time favorite NBA memories. 1993. The much hated Bulls had just beaten the Cavs, again, and were playing the Knicks in the conference finals. It was tuesday night so we were at the Euclid Tavern drinking beer and eating wings and rooting for the Knicks, who happened to be Anyone But The Bulls. It was a close game and the Bulls had made a run to pull within three with less than a minute to go. When John Starks, all heart and no size brings the ball up the court ....





and absolutely fucking posterizes Michael Jordan and Horace Grant. Forget The Garden, everyone in the Euc went stnad-up, scream and yell, high fiving apeshit crazy. I mean, Starks is, like, 6'3" on a good day. The Bulls were the powerhouse new kids on the block. That one play was a microcosm, that one moment was epic, it was David beating Goliath kind of stuff. When you have nothing invested, you root for the underdog and Starks was the little guy putting the underdog team on his back and winning.

The Knicks won that game but unfortunately lost the series, but it can't take away from one of the great moments in NBA playoff history.

1 comment:

  1. "The Celtics nearly blew a 24-point lead but fended the Lakers off in the closing seconds 108-102 to take a 2-0 lead in the Finals."

    ReplyDelete