Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Review : Price Caspian

NOTE: I don't know if anyone's noticed but the images of the posters for the movies in the reviews are links to the page for that movie on imdb.com. Now, starting with this one, the post title is a link to the page for the movie on rottentomatoes.com

I mentioned in my review for The Hulk that we managed to see two movies that weekend. On Sunday, the girls were both invited to a birtday party that kicked off with all the girls going down to Island Bay to see Prince Caspian. The boys are friends with the birthday girl's older brother and we occasionally hang out with their family and we wanted to see the movie anyway, so the rest of us sort of tagged along. The Island Bay Cinema is a 'boutique' movie theatre. I'm pretty sure that there's only two screens and each one seats maybe ... fifty people?

We took up about a quarter of the seats for that show, I think.I've read all of the Narnia books more times that I can remember and Price Caspian was never my least favorite, that honor is reserved for "The Silver Chair", but it's probably right above that. So I haven't been really geeked out to see this or anything. Since it's nearly my least favorite, I can't even remember the last time I actually read the book, but from what I remember, the movie was pretty faithful to the sounce material. The film, like the book, is a little darker and a lot more action oriented. I just don't find the material terribly engrossing. It's my understanding that this book had to be next since it's the only other one besides The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe that has all four of the kids in it and for the sake of continuity, the studio wanted to make the movie before the kids got any older. That does mean, however, that The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is next, since it has Edmund, Lucy and Caspian in it, and I am totally geeked for that as it was always my favorite.

So, the kids liked it, and they're the target audience so it couldn't have been that bad. I got exactly what I expected so I'll have to give it ...


Three Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment