Saturday, February 11, 2006

Cold

It's gotten warmer lately, but for a while where I live it was getting pretty cold at night. Down around 40 or so. Since we're up in the desert, it's nice during the day pretty much all winter, but at night, look out. So a couple of weeks ago, neither my wife or I wanted to cook. I can't honestly even remember why, so we jetted over to In-And-Out with the kids to grab a quick burger. I'm pretty sure it was a Friday, it was crowded. Not too many empty tables apart from the one right behind where I was sitting. Which is where the homeless guy sat down. Have I mentioned that it was fucking cold? Anyway, after a few minutes it's obvious that he's not going to buy anything, he's just trying to get in out of the cold. I figure that it's only a matter of time before the manager runs him off. So I went up to the counter and bought him a double-double, fries and a coke. I filled up the cup at the soda fountain and gave the guy the coke and the receipt and told him, "number 36 is you". Now, of course there's a point here. I'm not trying to break my arm patting myself on the back, but that restaurant was fucking full of Good Old Fashioned Americans. Christian Americans. People are throwing their leftover food away for fuck's sake and that poor bastard is just sitting there. I'm, and I hate calling myself this, but it's easier sometimes to just put a label on things, an atheist. And I was the one that stepped up. I'm so sick of the argument that you can't have morality without Christianity. That's bullshit. The utter self-servingness of it just pisses me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment