Monday, May 05, 2008

It's official



This guy's a dumbass. What do you expect from Texas?





Don't get me wrong, as someone who's been an immigrant elsewhere I'm really for immigration reform in the US. It's completely broken and absurd. I think it's the one 'wedge issue' that is actually a real problem, but most likely not for the same reasons that the mouth-breathing trailer-dwelling proletariat might think. It's a race to the bottom economically. It doesn't get fixed because it's all about cheap labor. Most things are.

2 comments:

  1. is your objection simply the content of the sign? My first thought was 'he must have spelled something wrong, what a dumbass'. Of course, it's 1:30 a.m. here, so if I didn't notice something misspelled, I'm not surprised. Or is my weary brain missing something else?

    We went to see 'The Visitor' last night. It was a pleasant little movie, with illegal immigrants the central point - well, an American's relationship with them. One scene gave me deja vu about walking into the INS office in Detroit. And the sign on the wall (in the movie) stating "America's Strength: It's Immigrants". What self-serving bullshit. I have never spoken with anyone who was satisfied, much less happy, with the INS (which is now the USCIS after its encapsulation into the Department of the Fatherland ... um, Homeland Security).

    I actually don't have a problem making English the 'official' language, if they require that Spanish be the other 'official' language, and be prepared for Chinese or Hindi to be next.

    The EU requires that everything official from the EU offices be printed in at least 2 languages, one of which has to be English.

    I'd go for that model: *require* everything from the gov't to be in 2 languages, one of which is English, and require that a minimum % of the local population speak that language. (to aovid it all being in English/Urdu or something like that).

    I think here, Somaali would be competing pretty strongly with Spanish.

    ReplyDelete